Know the Law Now booklet has helped thousands of people with common legal issues on Civil Matters, Family Issues, Criminal Proceedings, Employment Matters, Estate Planning and Transactional Issues. Before making an appointment to see a lawyer, it may be useful to refer to this booklet which is written in layman's terms for the general public.
If you are a Singaporean or a Permanent Resident living in Singapore facing a legal issue on a personal matter (investment, business and professional matters are not covered) and have never sought legal advice before, and/or are unable afford a lawyer, and the Know the Law Now booklet has not addressed your issue fully, you may call us to make an appointment for free basic legal advice at the Law Society's Community Legal Clinics. These clinics run Mondays to Thursdays (excluding public holidays and eve of public holidays). At the legal clinic, you will be able to see a lawyer on a one-to-one basis for 20 minutes. Please note that we reserve the right to turn down requests for appointments by applicants who fail to meet the criteria for this free legal advice.
Community Legal Clinics Appointment
Registration is required before an appointment is made for consultation at the Community Legal Clinic.
To register for an appointment, you may choose to:
- Call us at 6536 0650 or
- Send an email to Law Society Pro Bono Services or
- Speak to our Officer directly at the Community Justice Centre located at Level 1, The State Courts of Singapore.
You are required to provide basic information at the point of registration so that our lawyers can familiarise themselves with your issue ahead of the appointment. The more details you provide, the better prepared the lawyers can be. Such information include:
- Personal details: Name, NRIC, Citizenship, Age, Marital Status, Gender, Income, Residential Address, Contact Information.
- Any relevant court dates and deadlines - e.g. hearing dates
- The name of any adverse party / parties (e.g. employer, spouse, landlord, tenant, etc)
- Dates of any agreements, contracts and duration of events such as the length of marriage, dates of employment, number of months in default, etc
- Factual background of issue (e.g. amount of debt/loan, damages/injuries suffered, type of property & ownership (e.g. HDB, jointly owned);
- Detailed description of issue
- For Divorce matters, the number of children, custody arrangements, maintenance agreements, division of matrimonial assets, details of how each party has contributed to the household and if this is a Muslim marriage. If either of both spouses is foreign or has spent time overseas, please also include citizenship and visa status, where they got married, where they have lived since then and whether they have been living together continuously, as well as how long each has lived in Singapore.
Please also provide:
- Copies of contracts, agreements, correspondence, written evidence
- Copies of Writs served, court orders made, police reports
After registering, an appointment will be arranged for you to meet one of our lawyers at a Community Legal Clinic. Please be prepared that that there may be a 2 to 3 week waitlist, so do have alternative dates in mind when arranging an appointment.
You may also find the LegalHelp website (www.legalhelp.com.sg) useful. It is a platform for members of the public in Singapore needing legal help to pose questions to members of the legal fraternity or other members of the public who share similar experiences for guidance. LegalHelp is supported by a network of local lawyers who have volunteered to contribute their time and effort to help those in need.
In the event that you are unable to get an appointment at our Community Legal Clinics, you may wish to consult the other clinics listed
here for free legal advice.
Community Legal Clinics and Operating Hours
Your appointment will be at one of the following locations:
North West District
Woodlands Civic Centre #06-13
900 South Woodlands Drive
(Near Woodlands MRT Station)
Operating Hours: Mon (7pm - 9pm)
South East District
Singapore Post Centre #12-02
10 Eunos Road 8
(Near Paya Lebar MRT Station)
Operating Hours: Tues (7pm - 9pm)
South West District
The JTC Summit #26-06
8 Jurong Town Hall Road
(Near Jurong East MRT Station)
Operating Hours: Wed (7pm - 9pm)
Central Singapore District
HDB Hub Via Biz Three Lift Lobby 1, #07-11
490 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh
(Near Toa Payoh MRT Station)
Operating Hours: Thurs (7pm - 9pm)
Community Legal Clinic flyer provides more details.
Disclaimer: The advice given at these sessions shall be as a matter of guidance and comfort only and is not intended to replace, substitute or supplement legal advice and legal action that may be needed in each case. The volunteer lawyers are bound by law not to act any further for the attendees of these free legal clinics.